Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Pimiento Cheese

I never ate pimiento cheese when I was growing up, although my brother Bubba did. He was also fond of canned sardines in mustard, and  vienna sausages.....I wonder if they have ever seen any of those in Vienna??? Sorry, I digress.  Anyway, when I read in Frank Stitt's cookbook, Southern Table, about Miss Verba's pimiento cheese, I had to try it.  Its a world apart from any I had tried before. It makes a great hors d'oeuvre and pairs nicely with a variety of white wines.

Miss Verba's Pimiento Cheese

1 lb sharp cheddar
1/4 lb cream cheese, softened
1 tsp freshly ground white pepper
3 large red bell peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp sugar
Splash of Tabasco
1/8 tsp cayene (optional)

Grate the cheddar. Add all the other ingredients and stir together.
Refrigerate and served chilled.

Print this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment